Thursday, April 14, 2011

Strawberry Freezer Jam

We had our jam session!  Naunee came over and we jammed our little hearts out.  The easiest, tastiest kind--strawberry freezer jam!  I love freezer jam because of the fresh taste.  Since it isn't cooked, it has the best just-picked taste, and is such a gorgeous bright red color.  Yum!  We made about 8 pints, and I am going to go buy some more berries and make more.  In quarts this time.  :)
Strawberries are only 99 cents a pound at the Ranch Market by me, and they are good ones.  Here is the recipe we followed:  (from Chef Tess)

4 cups crushed berries (used food processor)
1 1/2 cups honey
1 pkg freezer pectin

We used a gel kind of pectin and the powder kind.  The powder kind set up better.  I was going to add some Clear Jel to the runnier jam, but we are just using it on pancakes instead.


How do we like our jam?  Well, if it were proper I would eat it with a spoon out of the jar.  But, to be a good example to the children I try to use it on other foods such as toast, biscuits, pancakes, in yogurt (makes beautiful parfaits-just layer plain yogurt and strawberry jam), on ice cream, you name it!  I think I will have some for lunch on this lovely bread~

(see how pretty it comes out with good wheat?  yay!)

No comments: