Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Goodbye, Grandpa

My Teeny Bopper snapped this pic.  It is my favorite ever

I have been putting off writing this post because I don't know how to write everything I have felt about this man.  So I decided to stop putting it off and just write a little something so I stop feeling bad about putting it off.  And, it is the holiday of LOVE today, so it is appropriate to write a tribute to Grandpa D whom we all loved so much.  (I wrote this post a few days ago, but couldn't find pics to go with it, so am just now posting)
When I heard that Grandpa had passed away, the first feeling I had was total joy that he was finally back with Grandma again.  He has missed her so much these last years!  And all the family that he had waiting for him on the other side-what a joyous reunion I pictured!
Then, when it hit me that he was gone, I felt the sadness of missing him.  It is a heavy weight on my heart to think about life without Grandpa.  He was one of those people that though you knew he couldn't be here forever, you still felt like he would be.


I can still hear his funny voice say, "Oh, honey.  Let me pinch those ears!"
I love remembering sitting in my living room many years ago, listening to him play Meditation on his violin.
Of course, the whole family loves when he "made an announcement" of how much he loved Grandma.
I love thinking about how strong he was.  Unbelievably strong!  He could arm wrestle big strong guys and win every time.  Super strong.



Loved the Mickey stories and war stories, especially the one about the prop feathering miraculously.
And, yes everyone felt like Grandpa's favorite.  I know that I was!  That was one of the best things that was said of him at his funeral.  What an attribute: to be able to love everyone and make them feel like they are the favorite, and mean it every time.  I want to be like that.


I will miss you so much, Grandpa!  I love you and canNOT wait to see you and "Mama" again!

No comments: