Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Yummy stir fry

I think I finally got down how to make a really delicious stir fry.  (secret's in the sauce...)

Since this blog is my brain dump, I am recording it here so next time I go to make stir fry I can look it up and remind myself.

(Wish I had taken a picture because it was so beautiful, but alas, I did not.  Sigh.)

Start with chopped up broccoli or asparagus.  Broccoli was cheaper this time so that's what I used.  Heat pan to med high or a little higher.  Add a little oil and then dump in veggies.  Cook for just a minute (not literally timing it or anything) and then add some water so the veggies steam.  While they are cooking, I sliced up a few carrots on the diagonal and fairly thinly.  When the green veggies are done (still a slight crunch and very green) dump them into my big serving dish, add a little more oil and cook the carrots the same way as the greens.  I also added some chopped red pepper with the carrot.  Cook until vibrant and softened, but not soggy.  Dump into dish.
Next I cooked some sliced mushrooms (NOT in oil or water).  Just mushrooms in the pan.  Mushrooms have enough moisture so that you don't need to add anything into the pan with them.  Don't worry, they won't stick.  Dump into dish.
Lastly, I added a bit more oil and cooked some thinly sliced chicken.   I also turned down the heat a bit.  I used breast, but thigh would work too.  Or pork.  Or beef.  Or no meat, but we like meat in ours.  DON'T over cook the meat.
When that was done, I-you guessed it-dumped the chicken into the dish with the veggies.

Now for the sauce.  I searched the web for a stir fry sauce and decided to try this one:
1/4 c. broth
2/3 c. water
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. molasses  (i bet brown sugar or honey would work also)
3 T cornstarch
1/4 c. oil
1 T vinegar  (i used rice vinegar, but use whatever)

I added:
around 1 t ginger powder
1-2 T sucanat or turbinado sugar  (use brown sugar if that's what you have)
1-2 t minced garlic
a dash more vinegar
a dash more soy sauce
a dash of fish sauce  (just cuz I had some)

I started with the suggested ingredients in a saucepan.  Except that I used arrowroot instead of cornstarch because that's what I had, so I used about 1 1/2 T arrowroot.  For the oil, I used a bit of sesame oil and then the rest grapeseed, but may try coconut next time.  (only because we love coconut)  After this was mixed, I tasted it and decided it needed some sprucing up.  So I added the other stuff listed above and cooked it for just a couple of minutes until it was thick and bubbly.  It was TAAAASTY.

I stirred up the vegetables and salted them a bit, served them over rice with the sauce on top of everything.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must taste and give my approval.....LOL