Monday, October 13, 2008

Halloween craft


I wanted to share another little Halloween craft that I made the other day. It was inspired by something I saw at Domestic Bliss, a gorgeous yet overpriced boutique near me. These little babies probably cost like $50 over there, but they cost me less than $5 to make. I went down to Home Depot and bought a board. The whole board was around $4. They wouldn't cut smaller than 12 inch pieces, so I brought it home and used my jigsaw to cut pieces the lengths I wanted. (totally eyeball it, it does NOT need to be precise) I bought 3 pieces of scrapbook paper, which cost a total of $1.79 or something like that. I then printed out the words "Trick Or Treat" and cut them out with an exacto. This is the hard way. The easy way would be to just print the silly words onto the scrapbook paper. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough paper to cover the blocks front and back, so I did it the hard way. Whatever. It worked! I painted the sides of the blocks black, then mod podged the paper on. Then I mod podged the words on. Voila! They are SUPER CUTE and way cheap. I think I will do a modified version for Christmas. Maybe even Thanksgiving. There is enough board left to make several...hmmmmm I'll have to think about it.
BTW, the font was a free font download and the name is Zothique. Love it!!

13 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

Wow! I absolutely adore those! Way cute! You are really on a roll!

Anonymous said...

Super cute Sally. Hey you should call me up when you feel like being crafty. You are so good at it and I am so not. I love that font too.

Rhonda said...

Those are great Sal! Love it!

Is the paper from Scrapbooks, Etc?

Salsa Mama said...

I got the paper at Mystic Paper on Main St. and MacDonald (I think). I couldn't find anything quite right at Scrapbooks, Etc. which surprised me. But it's still my top scrap store.

Gina said...

Fantastic! These look amazing. Yes, we love Domestic Bliss too... we call it the "idea store" because it is also known as the "I can't afford anything in here store"... but it is sure fun to look around, reverse engineer in your head and then make it yourself. Viva the DIYers!

Nik said...

I love them! When you do the Thanksgiving and Christmas ones, we should make it Craft Day and do them together. Come on, you know you want company!!!

Where did you get the free font download? I love fonts! Free sounds wonderful!

Salsa Mama said...

You can get the font is several places. Just google "free fonts" and check out the sites that come up for Zothique. A craft day sounds GREAT!

Carla said...

WOW! How cool! I hope you patted yourself on the back! You could do this for every holiday, and just regular days! Neat-o!

KaraLyn said...

Way cute! If you ever need to come over and cut out letters with my Cricut, please do. I remember the days of cutting out with exacto knives. Give me a call and save some time (and sanity!).

Lorie said...

That came out so cute! I need to see that in person!!

Anonymous said...

Hi S!
I have a blog award for you!
Missy

Elder Davis said...

So cute!!! good job. Thanks for the Tag, I haven't had time to do it yet, but I'll get to it I promise.

Erika said...

Can I put these on my blog?